Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Let's spice things up

Today was a fun day. A day to learn which always excites this nerd. I had a realization that in certain areas of my life I'm still "safe". Even in areas where I thought I was exploring. When I try new recipes I always follow exact and then make my modifications the next go round. A friend is mentoring me through my food exploration. At my friend's advice I'm going to use the recipes as guidelines, learning to trust my own senses. My food/cooking therapy is no surprise to those who really know me, but this more sensual side might be. I got to thinking about that. I connected those same feelings to some movies I enjoy about food. I recently watched Woman on Top. I hadn't seen it in a while. It made me laugh because I could relate one of the main character's friendships to one I have with a fellow flight attendant friend here. It isn't the best of movies, but a good escape. The main character's view on food and the passion behind it is so spot on for me. Two more I like and haven't seen in a while are Chocolat and The Mistress of Spices. The latter is the one I recalled today. I went to a specialty spice shop. What an experience! I'm not talking about highly commercialized like Penzey's. Don't get me wrong, I like Penzey's. This shop was different from the second I walked in. The whole atmosphere enveloped me. Every sense was heightened. Yes, my hearing too. Listening to others talk about what creation they were making, customers exclaim such joy to be able to find the spice or herb they've been searching, or the knowledgable clerk guide me through the curry shelves. You could hear such care and almost honor for the varied personalities of each. I was happy to share my finds with my mentor. This friend describes food with almost the same reverence and uniqueness.
With so much going on it is so nice to have this escape. It is wonderful that my patriots like to try new things. This wouldn't be as mucgh fun if I didn't have at least someone to share it with. I can share the fruition of my labor with my boys, and dare I say the emotions of such learning and experiences with my friend. I used to make food for my co-workers and employees. One of them hadn't had some of the items before so it was always nice to see her reactions. I still share by proxy with her via Twitter sometimes.  The last tweet to her was that this momma has a brand new bag. attached was a picture of me holding up the brown checkout bag from the spice shop. Corny? You bet. I do feel a bit like James Brown singing "I feel good" It feels nice. I'm liking this sugar and spice! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.
I'm still searching recipes for the goodies I picked up today. All I know is that I feel alive and happy that my life is literally being spiced up.

No comments:

Post a Comment