Sunday, May 15, 2011

Here is what I have been up to: waiting in the airline flight attendant training pool to call me up, working at various local farmers markets for Endless Alpacas, obtaining a rural house and the due diligence to learn what goes along with living there, and food preservation with my mom.

I’m not a total “back to basics” homestead girl, (I will not be reusing gray water) but I do believe there is a healthy balance somewhere in-between for me and my family. Sadly, I’ve received a few obnoxious words from Christian friends who ranted about being a “liberal greenie” or believing “environmental hype/propaganda”.  Truly, I wanted to slap the natural fertilizer out of them. As a believer of God myself, I reminded (or informed) them that as Christians we were instructed to rule over the earth and the animals (Genesis 1:26-28, Genesis 2:15, Psalm 8:6-8). We are to obtain our food from it with the hard work of our bodies (after the fall of man), and be good stewards too (Exodus 23:10-11; Leviticus 25:1-7 and Proverbs 12:10). He instructed us to use His creation wisely, to care of what He has given us. I also reminded them as well as myself that we are to love one another and leave the judging up to God. I think one understood where I was coming from, but only after I explained my (non-radical) efforts I am/will be doing. I have always felt this way to my core, just halfway or sometimes barely practicing. Now to practice that life I have made more changes, some sacrifices and taken a few risks, but at this point believe it will help fuel my soul.
 I have thoroughly enjoyed learning the canning and other food preservation process from mom. Shelling peas is tedious, but I know they will taste even better because of my hard work. I have the seasonal food chart in my purse with another in our house. I look forward to tomato, peach and blackberry season! I treasure the time spent with Mom and the generations’ worth of wisdom and hearing the precious stories of her mother and grandmother. They all endured very hard and sometimes-brutal life moments. These women handed down much strength and taught persistence to make me the woman that I am today. I will continue to learn from them making me a better mother, friend and maybe a better helpmate. My patriots are getting involved more. Sometimes not willingly at first, but they are starting to realize the satisfaction of following God’s desires, one’s own hard work leading to accomplishment and how saving money on food we grow or tend to allows more fun and free-time for all of us. They are taking on initiatives of their own. Some I have had to curb a bit while others will wait until we are settled at the new house. We are all looking forward to enjoying our almost six acres of land, and what we will cultivate from its use with His wisdom.  The boys cannot wait to have airsoft battles there and explore the way only boys can do. I am certain I will have many prayers asking for strength and patience!
 The work with Endless Farms is wonderful! I am learning so much and know that I will have lifetime friends. I have a "co-worker" who is so smart, actively participating in life and probably the most compassionate person I have met. I need to do more of the marketing so that the farm can really prosper. Now that this house situation is finalized, I can update the websites in-between packing. I look forward to boarding and taking care of Endless’ Alpacas until I am able to secure my own. It’s a great match. Margaret has the breeding science to an art I think. I am interested in the fiber aspect. I think mom is excited about the fiber art from these beautiful animals as well. Margaret and Danny are great mentors for everything alpaca, poultry, “country life” and are a great source of contacts and resources. The owners and I are on the same page when it comes to bartering. I do not feel that any of us is getting a better end of the deal. I feel it is and will continue to be a fair agreement.
 Now, when it comes to waiting for the flight attendant call up that can only be told by time. I may be so immersed and enjoying life on the farmette that I may say no thank you. I might be at a point in my life that I feel completely content with what my life activities are. I just don’t know. I love the industry and the perks it can offer, but what might I be sacrificing? I could be called up in two weeks or 8 months. I can’t guess what base I would be assigned and even that could change on company needs. Am I ready (or will I ever be) to go back to what corporate tells me my life should be? I honestly think that answer is a no, but would I be willing to compromise just to have the experience? That is where I think I would say yes. That is just now. I have not begun my full rural experience so again, only time will tell.
 My experience is that I am living. As eclectic as my experiences are, I am living and learning. Disappointments are present, but like the family women before me, I will persevere and push life rather than give up. I hope that I will have precious stories and some wisdom to share one day with those who are willing.


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this! :) We have a few things in common. And tell all your friends God created the Earth first, for us, and then created man from it! We should appreciate and connect to the beauty of this planet. There is a great disconnect with nature because people are afraid of sounding politically incorrect, so sad. Anyway, happy for your new journey as a homesteader. :) We're having fun messing up a lot at ours, but we're learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's the best way to learn, hands on! I look forward to sharing adventures.

    ReplyDelete